Abertillery fought hard in a dynamic encounter this afternoon, coming back from a three score half time deficit to claim a bonus point in the dying minutes in a match in which there were opportunities to win.

   Fielding possibly youngest halfbacks in the clubs history, Tillery made an early break after a fine pass from Cobi Edwards, but Aled Penn was forced into touch.  In the ninth minute the visitors took advantage of missed tackles as pressure built, centre Lucas crossing at the posts, fullback Crattan converting.

   In the 14th minute Tillery’s scrum creaked and they were shoved off the ball, but there was a subsequent forward pass. An excellent 60 yard touch finder from Luke Morgan gained a position in the visitors 22 and from a penalty awarded for offside , Kurtis Haile reduced the arrears to 3-7.

   A yellow card for a high tackle on hooker Isgrove reduced Rhydyfelin to 14 men, but poor passing enabled right wing Rees to intercept and race away for a second (unconverted )try and a third followed when outside half Smith handed off defenders, so half time arrived with the score 3-19.

    The second half began brightly with a Luke Morgan interception , but he was overhauled by Crattan and in the 47th minute the green army got as lock Christian Smith forced his way over, Haile converting’ and ; and a minute later good work by Morgan, Haile and Penn chasing Edwards’s grubber kick saw the wing cross for a second try in two minutes but a third try was disallowed for crossing.

However in the 54th minutes an outbreak of fisticuffs involving most of the thirty on field saw centre Luke Rees and home No 8 Wright red carded . Rees had run 30 metres to drive in a head butt and thoroughly deserved his fate but Wrights dismissal was a mystery.

   In the 64th minute a series of ricochets saw left wing Tyler grab the ball and race away for the bonus point, again converted by Crattan.

   Jack Woodland and Jordon legge had replace Hoskins and Isgrove and Woodland barged over after pressure on the Rhydyfelin line, Haile again adding a conversion to reduce the deficit to 22-26.

   Tillery spurned a kickable penalty as Jack Summers replaced Lewis Prosser and paid dearly as Crattan added two to stretch the score to 32-22 in the visitors favour. Instead of a winning position, Haile was forced to take a last gasp penalty to re-save the bonus point. Strange decisions indeed!

Final Score:-  Abertillery 25  Rhydyfelin  32

MoM   Shaun Gwilliam

AbertilleryBGRFC:   15 Mike Williams. 14 Ryan Price, 13 Luke Morgan, 12 Kurtis Haile, 11 Aled Penn. 10 Codi Edwards, 9 Shaun Gwilliam, 1 Daffyd Cripps, 2Anthony Isgrove(Jordon Legge), 3 Scott Hoskins(Jack Woodland), 4 Matthew Catlin, 5 Christian Smith, 6 Lewis Prosser(Jack Summers), 8 Joel Wright, 7 Conor O’Leary(Iestyn James)   

​​​Abertillery Blaenau Gwent RFC